Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday is a swim night!

The swim portion of the Ironman 70.3 is 1.2 miles; that is the same distance as swimming 84 laps in a 25 yard pool.  Tonight, I did 48 laps, in 47 minutes, which is more than half way there!  I took anywhere from a 5 second break in between each lap to a 15 second break if I had water in my goggles; my average break in between each lap was closer to 10 seconds and the breaks are included in my time.

I always start out quicker than I should when I first start swimming so after a few laps I feel like I am using too much energy and I feel like stopping.  I have gotten to the point that I can push myself enough to do a few more laps; by then, I feel like I could continue doing it all day and it is a matter of my body being strong enough to do it.  I could tell my technique was slipping towards the end of my work out so I really focused on finishing strong and went about 10 more laps before it was time to leave.


Ironman 70.3 triathletes at the starting point of the Steelhead triathlon!


I suppose I need to start looking for an outfit to wear for the event.  I am not 100% sure what type of outfit to get yet, I will have to do some research and start asking other triathletes from the Southern Indiana Tri-Team.

After about 15 laps in the water, I start to become more calm and patient; it reminds me of mowing the grass.  When I am mowing the grass I am just pushing the mower with very little thought, in regards to mowing, and I start to think of random things. 

During my swim tonight I thought about several things:

*What if I train and I cannot make it to the finish line in time? There is a time limit of 8 or 8.5 hours, I am not 100% sure.

*Ideas for a recent task at work

*Ideas for a small business that I may want to start some day

*Why is there water in my goggles when these things are stuck to my face like a vacuum cleaner?
I was probably crying because I know this will be a tough workout, lol - OR - it's because I bought some cheap goggles from WalMart, looks like a trip to Get Wet is in the future.

*I just lost my technique for a minute, better tighten up and I hope Heather did not see that!
Heather is my coach

*Only about 10 more minutes until I cool down and go home

*I am excited to eat the hibachi leftovers from Ashley's birthday dinner at Zuki's


What do you think about during a long chore or workout?  Post below!



Music currently playing:      Cake - Long Time

No comments:

Post a Comment