Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 14 - Foot Injury!!!!

Day 14

Just when I thought that I had control over my body and training, I made a dumb mistake!  This is unlike any injury I have ever had before; all of my injuries in the past have been from overtraining.

Alright, so here is how it happened!  I went to an open water swimming clinic today in an indoor pool; you would think that it would be outdoor, but we learned technique so it helped that it was in controlled water.  I made it through most of the workout when we decided to start oturning over people which is a way to get around them if you were stuck in a pack of people.  Turning over someone requires you to do this twisting motion with your body where you corkscrew through the water.  When I went to corkscrew, I kicked my right foot into my left heel - the top of my right foot had an awful pain.  The pain got significantly better pretty quick so I continued with the workout even though I felt it anytime I put pressure on it.

When I got out of the pool during a short break, I had to put more pressure on it and it hurt a lot more.  I decided to leave to put ice on it and I have had a slight limp to avoid the pain since.  I instantly started thinking what it could be; is it a bruise?  Did I break the bone?  Did I do something to it that I do not have the knowledge to diagnose?  A lot of thoughts that scared me because a serious injury could put me out of training for long enough to scrap my entire Half-Ironman :(

I talked to a member of our tri team that did a presentation on injuries and really knows his stuff.  Here is an X-ray of a broken foot:




If you feaked out, don't worry!  That is not my foot - I intentionally searched for "xray broken foot" on Google just to get a rise out of some of you :D :D :D

I did not have an Xray done on my foot because my friend from the tri team told me that based off what I am telling him, he does not think it is anything that will keep me off my feet for much longer than a few days to a week!  After talking to him, I am expecting it to be a little worse tomorrow but much better by Thursday.  I will give it time to heal - he thinks it is just a contusion on my foot.  He made me feel a lot more reassured after our discussion.




NOW, ON TO THE GOOD STUFF - My Windy Ride
(BEFORE MY SWIM CLINIC)

I logged on to Facebook by a message that says "Hope you got your bike ride on before the winds picked up".  Well, knowing that I did not get my bike ride on before seeing that message, I was in for a doozy!

25MPH winds welcomed me as I got on my saddle from my garage.  I planned a 90 minute ride and I still did it, I knew it was going to be a painful ride when I started heading South on a straight away that I normally break around 19.1 on and I could barely break 13 MPH and I was working harder!

The wind was blowing from the South to North and I did not get the tail wind as much as a typical out and back because my course went mostly East-to-West-to-East and when I did go South by the river, the river caused all kinds of crazy crosswinds!  However, just to give you an example of how strong the wind was that held me back 6 MPH when I was working harder - I went North on that same rode and caught a tailwind and I was able to pick the speed up on my bike over 30 MPH!!!  It was a great feeling that I needed, especially towards the end of my ride.

All-in-all, I was satisfied with my ride!

Here is a link!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/168428241






3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your foot is going to be OK. Rest it and you will be good as new. That's the advice you gave me and I feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such an amazing and helpful post this is. I really really love it. It's so good and so awesome. I am just amazed. I hope that you continue to do your work like this in the future also footcare drills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. chiropodists drills

    ReplyDelete